Pages

3/12/08

Art Projects


Among other things, I have spent the last week and a half burning LOTS of pictures and other info onto CD's and off my poor, choked up laptop. I'm very pleased at how much better it works now that it has much more than *cough* 3% free space *cough*. My computer is a lot happier now that it is mostly dejunkified. We celebrated its new freedom with a spring-y desktop picture of yellow tulips and not as many impatient scowls from me.

Now on to the fun!

"How to Dress Up White-Washed Cinderblock Walls When You Live in On-Campus Housing"

During the first few months of our marriage, I wrote fun dates and things to do on a bunch of strips of construction paper and put them into a cute box. That way, if we didn't have something planned, we could just reach in, pick a slip, and wah-lah! Instant date idea! (How do you really spell that? Oillah? Wala?) One of those ideas, which I have wanted to do for the longest time, was to go to the dollar store and pick up some of those cheap strips of watercolors and paint pictures to adorn our home. How fun is that?? I know, I know, really fun.
For Valentine's Day, I finally bought some of those watercolors and I had a blast painting my first watercolor "painting".

My husband was so impressed with my art-i-ness. I decided I needed some heavier paper and I wished for some nicer brushes than the wild-haired brush they include. I picked up some watercolor paper at the BYU bookstore (80 to 90 lb weight), but the art brushes were astronomically priced! (No wonder we call them starving artists; they have to spend all their money on paint brushes!)

I had a few errands to run at WalMart, and I decided to stop by the art supply aisle and found THIS:
A much LARGER collection of watercolors and these delectable "professional" RoseArt brushes! I had them in my hand in an instant. This is what resulted from that happy purchase. The same simple tulips and a calla lily of delight.
Watercoloring is fun to do, fun to do, to do, to do!

The next project was to recreate this adorable idea from Nicole Hill:
Half an apple and some red paint later:

A delicious kitchen decoration.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun and cute! Voila!

Aimee said...

Ooo!! I love, I love!! The calla lily's my fav.

Sarah said...

I recognized your classic wymount kitchen immediately and it made me laugh. I stared at that exact kitchen wall for hours while washing dishes! (But I think Alex did even more) I like the calla Lily the best, too.

sara said...

You are just adorable. And it's voila. You're doing a great job adding a little color to the walls!

Heidi said...

Voila!! Thank you Brianne! ;)

Alicia said...

Wow, look at you! I, too, remember trying to find ways to make the Wymount cinderblock cute. I was not so creative. Great job!

Sarah said...

Awww..I'm so glad you made a new post! I've missed you! :) Of course they all turned out adorable...way to go woman!

Maria said...

Those are so cute! You're very creative. I LOVE the paper strip date idea. We are always having a hard time thinking of something fun to do. Thanks for sharing!

Jessie said...

Love them all!! You are so talented. I know it is a gift to look at something that you can't paint or knock down and know how to make it pretty.

Emily Moffat said...

Look how clever. Very nice.

Maria Jones said...

Someone just posted this today and I thought of you!

http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2008/04/watercolors.html